I rather liked the Shimano Ultegra 6700. Introduced in 2009 for the 2010 model year, it seemed to me to be the most elegant, composed, coherent, Ultegra for some time - and that is saying something because Ultegra has always been one of Shimano's most carefully and thoughtfully designed groupsets.
It went through a number of versions:
- First, in 2009 (for the 2010 model year), was the 6700 SS and 6700 GS, these were silver finish models available in two cage lengths, both of which could handle a maximum large sprocket of 28 teeth.
- Then, in 2011 (for the 2012 model year), two Glossy Grey models were added to the range, the 6700-G SS and 6700-G GS. Again both of these could handle a maximum large sprocket of 28 teeth.
- Finally in 2012 (for the 2013 model year), the range got new pulley cage plates which could handle a 30 toothed big sprocket. The 'Silver' versions were coded 6700-A-SS and 6700-A-GS, the 'Glossy Grey' versions were 6700-A-SS-G and 6700-A-GS-G.
For those of you trying to distinguish between these 8 versions of the Ultegra (6700), here is a quick guide:
- The easiest way to differentiate between mud-caked 'silver' and oil-smeared 'Glossy Grey' is to look at the writing on the outer parallelogram plate. In the case of 'silver', the writing is black. For 'Glossy grey' it is white.
- The later, 6700-A, generation that can accept a 30 tooth sprocket has '30T' stamped on the outer pulley cage plate at the front, guide pulley, end. The earlier, plain 6700, version, that can only handle a 28 tooth sprocket, has nothing stamped here.
- The, short pulley cage, 'SS' version has a cage with a centre to centre measurement of 59mm. The, long pulley cage, 'GS' version has a cage with a centre to centre measurement of 75mm.
So that's clear then!
This, rather fine, Glossy Grey example is an Ultegra 6700-A-SS-G. It is seriously light at 192g and the p-knuckle appears to be made of carbon composite rather aluminium.
- Derailleur brands: Shimano
- Categories: Shimano - the Ultegra story
- Country: Japan
- Date of introduction: 2012 (Shimano model year 2013)
- Date of this example: 2014 (two letter date code is MA)
- Model no.: 6700-A-SS-G
- Weight: 192g
- Maximum cog: 30 teeth (Shimano)
- Total capacity: 34 teeth (Shimano)
- Pulley centre to centre: 59mm
- Index compatibility: 10 speed
- Chain width: 3/32”
- Logic: top normal
- B pivot: sprung
- P pivot: sprung
- Materials: aluminium with a carbon composite p-knuckle