The Gambato Gran Sport series is a set of Argentinian 'derivatives' of classic Campagnolo models. While I am extremely unclear about the dates, I consider that they can be roughly grouped into three groups:
- a first series closely based on the 1953 Campagnolo Gran Sport. These Gambato Gran Sports possibly date from the late 1960s.
- a second series based, less closely, on the 1963 Campagnolo Record. These Gambato Gran Sports possibly date from the mid to late 1970s.
- a third series based, very, very, roughly based on the 1980 Campagnolo 980. These Gambato Gran Sports possibly date from the late 1980s and early 1990s.
The oddity is that, in each case, the Gambato models seem to date from about a decade after the relevant Campagnolo originals. It seems that the designs got lost in some kind of Argentinian time warp - perhaps in the boot (trunk) of a DeLorean.
I think that this is an early example of a Gambato Gran Sport, from the first series above. It has the following features:
- the look, styling and geometry are disturbingly similar to a Campagnolo Gran Sport.
- the b-pivot bolt is a 'small countersunk' headed item, very like a 1953 Campagnolo Gran Sport.
- the p-pivot bolt is a 'large rounded' headed item, unlike a Campagnolo Gran Sport from after 1953.
- there is a cable adjuster.
- the p-spring cover cup between the pulley cage and the p-knuckle casting is chromed and 3.5mm deep.
- the main parallelogram looks chromed - but the plating is a little rough.
- the pulley cage plates look to be plated, but not obviously chromed. Perhaps the plating is nickel.
- the pulley cage plates have Gambato's signature extra reinforcing bars.
- the pulleys are round and steel and have ball bearing races.
It's a moderately ratty example - but I love it because we see so little of derailleurs from South America.
- Derailleur brands: Gambato
- Country: Argentina
- Date of introduction: 1969?
- Date of this example: unknown
- Model no.: unknown
- Weight: 304g
- Maximum cog: 26 teeth (a guess)
- Total capacity: 18 teeth (another guess)
- Pulley centre to centre: 45mm
- Index compatibility: friction
- Chain width: 3/32”
- Logic: top normal
- B pivot: unsprung
- P pivot: sprung
- Materials: largely bronze, with steel parallelogram plates