The new millenum saw Campagnolo launch a completely new design of Record derailleur - the Record (RD00-210). For the first time in perhaps 25 years, Campagnolo were really going for it. The Record (RD00-210) set Campagnolo on a new path - with lightweight as a serious goal and the use of carbon fibre as a key tool for achieving that goal. As well as using carbon fibre, it introduced a number of other features - such as the idiosyncratic chain tension adjusting system - that remain with us to this day.
As ever with Campagnolo, the next 8 years saw a number of additions and refinements - surely primarily designed to keep future deraileur collectors on their toes. But all of the variants had titanium b-pivot and p-pivot bolts, titanium cable clamp bolts, hollow titanium pulley bolts (yes, really!) and carbon outer parallelogram plates. Serious stuff.
A list of possible variants, with probable dates, might include:
- RD00-210, from 2000, a 10-speed short cage model with an aluminium outer pulley cage plate and the word 'Record' on its outer parallelogram plate.
- RD00-210L, from 2000, a medium pulley cage version of the RD00-210.
- RD01-209, from 2001, a 9-speed version of the RD00-210.
- RD02-210LL, from 2002, a long pulley cage version of the RD00-210.
- RD4-REXS, RD4-REXM, RD4-REXL, from 2004, a 10-speed model with a carbon outer pulley cage plate and the words 'Record Titanium' on its outer parallelogram plate. It was available in three cage lengths.
This generation was finally replaced by the, even more exotic, Campagnolo Super Record (RD9-SR1) and the Campagnolo Record (RD9-RE1) in 2009.
This is a rather pleasant example of the Campagnolo Record (RD4-REXS). For the first time on a Campagnolo derailleur, lushly polished, anodised, aluminium has less visual presence than raw, woven, carbon fibre.
- Derailleur brands: Campagnolo
- Categories: Campagnolo - the good stuff
- Country: Italy
- Date of introduction: 2004
- Date of this example: unknown
- Model no.: RD4-REXS
- Weight: 186g
- Maximum cog: 26 teeth (Campagnolo)
- Total capacity: 27 teeth (Campagnolo)
- Pulley centre to centre: 56mm
- Index compatibility: 10 speed
- Chain width: 3/32
- Logic: top normal
- B pivot: sprung
- P pivot: sprung
- Materials: aluminium with carbon outer parallelogram plate, carbon outer pulley cage plate and titanium b-pivot and p-pivot bolts and cable clamp bolt