With the second version of the V series SunTour made a giant leap into modernity, the knuckles became more curved and organic and the adjustment screws moved to the rear knuckle, out of the corrosive spray from the front wheel. The large, chromed, screw-driver slotted bolts are an unusual touch.
The V was a tolerable weight, astoundingly affordable and frighteningly effective over a close ratio freewheel - all it lacked was an Italian pedigree.
- Derailleur brands: SunTour
- Categories: SunTour - the V story
- Country: Japan
- Date of introduction: 1970?
- Date of this example: 1970 (no two letter date code, but both pulleys and parallelogram plate are stamped ‘Maeda Industries Ltd.’)
- Model no.: unknown
- Weight: 259g
- Maximum cog: 24 teeth (source: SunTour)
- Total capacity: 24 teeth (source: SunTour)
- Pulley centre to centre: 46mm
- Index compatibility: friction
- Chain width: 3/32”
- Logic: top normal
- B pivot: unsprung
- P pivot: sprung
- Materials: largely aluminium with steel parallelogram plates.