I (perhaps erroneously) regarded the SunTour U (and the very similar SunTour Hero) as being versions of the SunTour Honor manufactured down to a price, and fitted as original equipment on Japanese made bicycles.
This later SunTour U seems to me to differ from my fourth style of Honor in that it has a particularly ugly pressed steel rear knuckle and a non-standard and very crude hanger. It also has no plastic spring cover - which seems to be the defining mark of a U as opposed to an Honor.
- Derailleur brands: SunTour
- Categories: SunTour - the Honor story
- Country: Japan
- Date of introduction: 1982?
- Date of this example: 1982 (two letter date code is YB)
- Model no.: unknown
- Weight: 349g including hanger plate but excluding drop-out bolt
- Maximum cog: 30 teeth (Sutherlands 4th edition and SunTour)
- Total capacity: 28 teeth (Sutherlands 4th edition and SunTour)
- Pulley centre to centre: 57mm
- Index compatibility: friction
- Chain width: 3/32”
- Logic: top normal
- B pivot: two pivots, front sprung and rear unsprung
- Materials: steel