With a clever cable route, a relatively low price, exceedingly light weight and with a great shift, the SunTour Cyclone was a miracle. To this day the Shimano Dura-Ace is heavier than this Cyclone - proof of the simple purity of the single-sprung pivot slant parallelogram design.
The second style of SunTour Cyclone had a slightly redesigned rear knuckle and a captive short hanger bolt (with a distinctive serrated edge). It gained 4g in weight from these changes.
- Derailleur brands: SunTour
- Categories: SunTour - the Cyclone story
- Country: Japan
- Date of introduction: 1976?
- Date of this example: 1977 (two letter date code is TG)
- Model no.: 5902
- Weight: 179g
- Maximum cog: 24 teeth (hanger 29mm or less) or 28 teeth (hanger 32mm or more) (Source: SunTour)
- Total capacity: 24 teeth (hanger 29mm or less) or 26 teeth (hanger 32mm or more) (Source: SunTour)
- Pulley centre to centre: 46mm
- Index compatibility: friction
- Chain width: 3/32”
- Logic: top normal
- B pivot: two pivots, front sprung and rear unsprung
- Materials: aluminium