My memory is a bit hazy about exactly what SunTour introduced in exactly which year - and, crucially, I do not have a copy of SunTour’s Catalog No 60. However, my best guess is that the story goes like this:
- Suntour Catalog No 59, released in autumn 1981, describes Suntour’s range for model year 1982. This introduced only one of SunTour’s new ‘aerodynamic’ component series, the SunTour Cyclone Mk II. There were also no mountain bike components in this catalog. The only indexed system shown is the SunTour Mighty Click, although levers are shown for the SunTour IC.
- The missing SunTour Catalog No 60, released in autumn 1982, describes SunTour’s range for model year 1983. I suspect that this introduced a slate of SunTour’s new ‘aerodynamic’ component series, including the new SunTour Superbe Pro, SunTour Superb, SunTour aRX and SunTour aR. I also suspect that the first mountain bike components, notably the SunTour MounTech series may have sneaked into this catalog. I won’t even speculate about the index systems shown.
- This catalog, No 61, released in autumn 1983, describes SunTour’s range for model year 1984. This has the whole range of ‘aerodynamic’ component series, the whole range of mountain bikes series including Superbe Tech and AG Tech, and the Trimec and CAP indexed systems. It was Suntour’s last killer range.
I have displayed the pages of this catalogue in a slightly enlarged format because the type is so tiny.
- Publisher: SunTour
- Country: Japan
- Date: 1983
- Derailleur brands: SunTour
- Derailleurs: too numerous to mention - please see the individual pages